Sunday, March 3, 2013

Nurses Pledge - in Charity, health care requires dedication and integrity




In Charity, healthcare which is carried out to help others requires dedication and integrity in the healthcare provider.

Often as minister, you may be called upon to assist someone in dire health need in a shack or situation far from a hospital or healthcare professional help.
It is helpful to have a good qualification in healthcare in order to be able to give competent assistance in these cases.
It is also good to be registered with a healthcare registration body in the area in which you carry out your charity.
As minister, you will be empowered to give spiritual assistance to others confident in the knowledge that if a health emergency occurs, you will be able to render competent assistance.

The assistance given to others is given according to the highest ethical principles, which go back over many centuries.
Healthcare providers uphold the highest standards, and commit themselves thereto.
An example is the Nurses Pledge.

The Nurses Pledge is a wonderful emphasis on the principles which guide good health care;
- Leading by example
- Faithfulness
- Accountability
- Accuracy
- Responsibility
- Confidentiality
- Devotion
- Quality

This Pledge can be taken in private or in public, or both.
It can be spoken in a small ceremony, while you hold a lighted lamp or candle.*
The original Nightingale Pledge, as adaptation of the Hippocratic Oath taken by physicians, was composed in 1893 by Lystra Gretta.
Here is a version of the Nurses Pledge of Service;

"I solemly pledge myself to the service of humanity.
I will endeavour to practise my profession with conscience and with dignity.
I will maintain by all the means in my power the honour and the noble traditions of my profession.
The total health of my patients will be my first consideration.
I will hold in confidence all personal matters coming to my knowledge.
I will not permit considerations of religion, nationality, race or social standing to intervene between my duty and my patient.
I will maintain the utmost respect for human life.
I make these promises solemly, freely and upon my honour."

*(Be careful with any flame in the interest of health and safety, there is always a fire risk).

More information about the Nurses Pledge;
http://www.sanc.co.za/aboutpledge.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightingale_Pledge

No comments:

Post a Comment