Friday, June 7, 2013

Lumiere English Academy; How to use Verbs and their Tenses correctly (5) - The Present Perfect Tense





Lumiere English academy
A Basic Grammar


THE PRESENT PERFECT TENSE  
    
I have loved
Here you will see we use the auxiliary (help) verb “to have” in conjunction (together) with the past participle of the verb to love. 
Do you see now why it was so important to study your principal parts? 
So the forms of "to have" change according to the person who is performing the action – I have, he has – but loved stays the same. 
The same would go for the past perfect (had loved) and the future tenses (shall have loved) but doesn’t because in the past tense “had” is unchanging.

EXERCISE
  1. She says she (love) .............. her husband since they were at school (has loved)
  2. .  I think I (understand) ............ what you have been trying to explain (have understood)
  3. I (be) ………………… faithful to my wife throughout our lives together (have been)
  4.  I (see) ………..... many flower arrangements but this is the loveliest (have seen)
  5.  (be) …… you ever …… inside the Joane Pim Park? (Have you ever been)
  6.  I (fight) …………… for the privilege of being mayor for years (have fought)
  7. I (choose) ……… the brown carpet because it doesn’t show the dirt (have chosen)
  8. I (sing) ………………in the school choir since Standard Seven (have sung)
  9. He (repair) …………… the broken roof tiles on the house but not on the garage (has repaired)
  10. He (receive) …………. a letter requesting him to come for an interview (has received)
  11. (see) ………you already …… the new class teacher? (Have you already seen)
  12. (meet) ………you not ……… the new student yet? (Have you not met)
  13. As soon as he (reach) ………Kroonstad, he will phone to tell us so (has reached)
  14.  (wash) ……… you …………  the dishes yet? (Have you washed)
  15.  I (smoke) ……… not …………… a single cigarette since 1971 (I have not smoked)
  16. Because I (give) ………up smoking, my emphysema has improved somewhat (Because I have given up)  
  17.  She says she (wish) …………for a gold watch since she was small (has wished)
  18.  Father (buy) ……………Mother a brand new car out of the box (has bought)
  19. Mother …… never (look) ……… back since Father bought her a new car (Mother has never looked)
  20. The employer (lose) ………… all patience with the lazy employee (has lost)
  21.  (pass) ……… Richard ………… his first year at University? (Has Richard passed)
  22. They (see) ……… not yet ………………. the movie of the book (They have not yet seen)
  23. (choose) …………Craig …………his partner yet? (Has Craig chosen)

Dr. Luky Whittle

Blog post created by Tuhin Bagi

No comments:

Post a Comment