Sunday, January 26, 2014

Prison Ministry - Why not Help?


They are your sons
It was many years ago. In an outlying mission area, I was called by a lady with whom I worked.
"A whole lot of men have arrived saying they are your sons," she said.
I was perplexed. I arrived at the kitchen door, where a smiling kitchen worker met me.
"They're eating a meal. I figured they're another batch of Catherine's Boys," she said.
When I went out, a group of men hunkered down on the concrete, eating a meal.
When I saw them, I understood. They were the latest group released from the local jails after doing their time.
The men stood up, nervously twisting their hands.
One seemed elected to be the spokesperson, and we spoke.
The men were looking for assistance to get back into society.
They had heard that over the years I had helped many who had completed their time back on their feet and into employment.

We need a mother
As I fetched clothing, shirts, suits and ties, razors and towels and toiletries, I said to the spokesman,
"Why did you say you were my sons?"
He looked at me, and said; "We have no-one anymore.
No home to go back to.
We have heard that you take ex-prisoners in and give them the help they need.
We heard you have love for those in need.
We need a mother.
So you are known in the prisons as the mother of those in need."

Kindly people in the town
Kindly people in the town had donated clothing, suits, free showers, and back to work employment opportunities for years for the ex-prisoners I tried to help.
As I directed the latest group to the locally sponsored free showers so the men could present a well-groomed appearance at the job interviews we organised for them, I pondered his words.
I had just been helping where I could, having trained groups for years in the area in prison outreach.
I had not realised just how much this had meant to the people behind bars.

Divine Providence
Perhaps Divine Providence has led you to read these words today.
There are many people in need behind bars.
Lawyers for justice issues.
Social workers to assist people to repair their broken relationships.
Educators to prepare people for employment once their term is completed.
Ministers to bring the message of hope and the assurance of Jesus Christ that each person is of infinite value.
People of goodwill to help those who have paid their debt to society with the achingly difficult journey of re-entry into a full life in sociey.

Prison Ministry
Perhaps you have your ordination.
Is God calling you to a Prison Ministry as Chaplain?
If so, there are many opportunities for training.

Person of Goodwill
Perhaps you are a person of goodwill wishing to volunteer in prison ministry?
Why not get involved?
Equip yourself with accredited training, and go where the help is so needed.
People have broken areas in their lives once they have received a prison sentence.
Assistance is needed for them to be able to heal what was wounded, and be able to start a new life once they have paid their debt to society.
In the spirit of Lumiere, is there anything you can do to help?

Options;
Prison Chaplaincy
Bible Studies and Life Skills
Mentor an Ex-Prisoner
Assist Inmates' Families and Children
Study Open Online Courses 

Prison Fellowship 
http://www.prisonfellowship.org/get-involved/  

'I needed clothes and you clothed me.
I was sick, and you cared for me.
I was in prison and you came to visit Me,' Jesus Christ (Matthew Chapter 25, verse 36)
Volunteer Orientation
http://vimeo.com/78635509

Open Online Courses 
http://www.prisonfellowship.org/get-involved/open-online-courses//

Assist Inmates' Families
Angel Tree
http://www.prisonfellowship.org/programs/angel-tree/

Chaplains for Christ International 
http://www.chaplainsforchrist.org/

International Prison Chaplains' Association
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Prison_Chaplains'_Association 

How to Train as a Prison Chaplain
http://www.ehow.com/how_7806152_train-prison-chaplain.html 

With thanks to Prison Fellowship, Chaplains for Christ, Wikipedia and Ehow

No comments:

Post a Comment