Monday, December 26, 2011

A Christmas Story


It was Christmas time, and I was in town rushing past some shops to get supplies in for Christmas. I heard the desolate weeping of a young boy in a dark alleyway, and stopped. As I stood there, trying to see where the crying was coming from, I heard an older boy comforting him. 'Don't cry, my brother,' he said. 'Be strong.  Why are you crying?' 'I am so hungry,' the younger lad replied, sobbing again. By now I could see the thin shoulders of the older brother as he took the young lad in his arms to comfort him. 'Don't cry,'he said again. 'I'm your brother, and I love you. We love each other, that's all that matters'. The younger boy said with real heartbreak in his voice, 'But we're all alone in the world. No-one else cares. No one.' I moved into the shadows, and started speaking with the young boys.  By the time I moved on, they were sitting having a full meal with a hot drink, and assistance for them organised. They looked slightly bemused. They truly had thought no-one else in this world cared about them. But I knew better. It had been against all odds that I had quickly volunteered to go into town to buy potatoes and some outstanding supplies for Christmas lunch. I had not planned to go, but had felt a strong need to quickly visit town. I knew why now.

Many times we are inspired to do something, we just get a strong feeling - and then, at the end of the day, it turns out that our assistance was needed in some small way. I believe that this is Providence at work. I have never forgotten the heartbroken crying I heard, or how shocked I was that there are still children that are starving in large towns. It was a Christmas message to me that there still is no room in the inn for so many, and that there is so much scope for help with food, shelter, clothing, medical assistance and education. Perhaps there are children in a family or in the streets near you who need assistance - in the spirit of Lumiere, please go out to them, and help with a meal and assistance. It is no accident when you meet someone in need like this - it is Providence matching their prayer and need to your ability to help. Providence reaches out to us daily to build our goodwill and caring.

And, as I left the young boys, I told them, 'Don't ever think that no-one cares. You are both very precious; there is only one of you, you are unique; and God created you. He cares, and He will never forget you. I believe that He sent me here today because He knew you needed help.' And their wide eyes held deep in their depths a tiny flicker of hope - that maybe their life was important, and that they were worth so much. It is indeed tragic that the wonder of each human life is not always matched with understanding as to how precious each gift to us is - if each of us who reads this blog post make it our goal in life to enable each person to feel how unique and valued they are, surely so much happiness will result. So, happy Christmas to you all, and please do a good work in the spirit of Lumiere for someone who is desperately in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment