Thursday, August 23, 2012

Will you help bring clean water to Rwanda?



Lumiere Charity has received an email from Alexa and Charity; Water. Their dynamic September Campaign to bring clean, safe drinking water to the people of Rwanda is in full swing. The video viewed by Lumiere shows the inspirational work done by the dedicated members of the Charity. Clean water continues to be needed in areas of Rwanda; water is needed in order to deliver safe medical and maternity care; to slake thirst; to maintain life; to keep cool and clean. So many children have to spend hours fetching water. When I worked during one holiday in my late teens as a charity worker in the depths of Africa, I learned to live as the people there were living. That meant using a candle; no electricity. Nailing a piece of cloth over the house window into the wall by means of tin tacks. A bucket with a measured amount of water was for a bath; and it was my task to go and bring water from the pump. I would lift my water drum, walk all the way to the local mission pump, and wait my turn to get the water. I loved the way the village people would congregate and chatter at the pump, the women in gaily patterned clothing, with their babies tied by small blankets to their backs, quiet and happy. The bees would buzz around the pump, coming to drink water in clusters from the water that had dropped into the small basin below the pump left there especially for them. The sun would beam down warmly, a little wind rustled through the thorn trees, and I was happy.

Eventually it would be my turn, and I would pump the water into the water drum, encouraged by the villagers who found my initial efforts to pump hilarious (it took a while to get the knack!) They would give me a hand. Then came the hard bit; the backbreaking carrying of the heavy water drum back to the mission. I would arrive back, shattered. It is hard work. And the drum cannot be dropped; water is too precious. Dropped water or a failed well is linked to survival; carrying water is a responsibility to the community. So, during that time, I learned deep respect for water. Now we have the chance to help our Rwandan brothers and sisters in our global family have the water they need; please click into the link and assist with the September campaign. In the spirit of Lumiere, let us link hands and help to bring water to those in need.

Please click into the link below;
http://charitywater.org/september

*Picture courtesy of Charitywater.org

No comments:

Post a Comment