Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Lumiere English Academy; How to use Verbs and their Tenses correctly (4)





Lumiere English academy
A Basic Grammar


THE PAST CONTINUOUS TENSE
I was loving
We use this when the action we are describing was continuing to happen, e.g. I was reading in the family room when the front door bell rang.
Also when something in the past took place on an ongoing (continuous) basis, e.g. When they were small, the two brothers were forever quarrelling.
When an action takes an instant, we use the past indefinite tense: "Oops! I broke a cup!"
Not; "I was breaking a cup."
Second language students like to say: "I was dropping a cup," "I was having a headache" instead of "I dropped a cup", "I had a headache."

"All very well," you may object, "but the headache lasted for two hours."

Sorry, I have no explanation for the inconsistencies of the English language.
Some things you simply have to memorise.

EXERCISE

1. Last year this time we (study) .................... for matric (were studying)
2. Jenny (prepare) ......................... supper when the electricity cut out (was preparing)
3. While we (buy) .................. groceries, Peter filled up the car with petrol (were buying)
4. When we (go) ....................... to Bloemfontein, the car stopped (were going)
5. Although she (to try) .................... to study, the children screamed loudly (was trying)
6. At the time when we (attend) ................. church, she was out shopping (were attending)
7. When they were small, the brothers (argue) ......... always ............ (were always arguing)
8. When Maud went outside she found that her husband (mow) the lawn (was mowing)
9. When we (be) ................... still (live) ................. at home, we had fewer worries (were still living)
NB Not less worries. Why not?
Because less denotes quantities, like sugar, and few denotes numbers, so less sugar but fewer people
10. For as long as it took for them to get to Gauteng, they (sing) ................... songs (were singing)
11. While they (criticise) ....................... the food, the others ate their share (were criticising)
12. The husband washed the dishes while the wife (dry) .................... them (was drying)
13. I (try) ......................... to remember when you celebrate your birthday (was trying)
14. They (practice) .................. their running in preparation for the Comrades (were practising)
15. We had finished our work while they .............. still (get) ................ up their courage to start
(were still getting)
16. Although the sun (shine) ......................,  a few raindrops fell (was shining)
17. They (refuse) .......................... to obey in protest against the unfair treatment (were refusing)
18. John (untidy) ........................... the house as fast as Mother (clean) ...................... up
(was untidying the house as fast as Mother was cleaning)
19. When Father was alive, we (be) .............. forever (go) .............. on holiday (were forever going)
20. While Mother was ill, Father (cook) .......................... the meals (was cooking)

THE FUTURE CONTINUOUS TENSE
I will be loving
We use this when we describe doing something in the future on a continuous basis, e.g. Next year I will be studying engineering at university.
Also, when we are looking forward to something in the future which may or may not happen: I hope you'll be inviting me to your wedding.

EXERCISE

1. At their AGM next month the Rotarians (elect) .................. their new president (will be electing)
2. I (visit) .......................... my daughter in London next year (will be visiting)
3. I (call) ....................... the bank manager on his first name if I win that money (will be calling)
4. He (driving) .......................... all the way to Cape Town next April (will be driving)
5. Joan (take) ............................ a parcel up to my son in Gauteng tomorrow (will be taking)
6.The president (have) ................... tea at Buckingham Palace when he goes to the UK (will be having)
7. I hope I (see) ......................... you when we attend the next conference (will be seeing)
8. I suppose you (attend) .................... your new grandchild's christening? (will be attending)
9. I estimate that it (take) ............................ twelve thousand bricks to complete the house (will be taking)
10. As usual we (play) ................... cards on Thursday night (will be playing)
11. When he goes in for his operation all of us (pray) ...................... for his recovery (will be praying)
12. We (plant) ......................... bulbs for our winter garden soon (will be planting)
13. (Be) ............ you  .............. (visit) ........ your family next Christmas  (Will you be visiting)
14. (Be) ............ you ............... (drive) ........ tomorrow or will Bill take the wheel? (Will you be driving)
15. Do you think Jack (be/divide) ....................... up the proceeds fairly? (will be dividing)
16. (Be)  ............. the cake (finish) .................... in time for tomorrow's party? (Will the cake be finished)
18. (Be) ................ Esther (take) ........................ the lead role in the play? (Will Esther be taking)
19. Janet (to be/give) .................... a lift home to Mary when she has her car serviced (will be giving)
20. I (celebrate) ........................ my twenty-first birthday in three weeks' time (will be celebrating)
21. If I don't study, I (waste) .................... my own time and that of my teachers (will be wasting)
22. I (arrive) ................................... at 10:30 on Friday the twelfth (will be arriving)

Dr. Luky Whittle

No comments:

Post a Comment