Sunday, December 30, 2012

Lumiere Charity remembers the Homeless



A candle has been lit by Lumiere in remembrance of the homeless.

Have you ever been homeless?
Since starting Charity work, I have slept on floors of slums, worked at railway stations through the night with the homeless.
I have seen elderly lying on the sidewalks, their only possessions thin cotton clothing and a cotton shawl to wrap around their head whilst they slept.
I have experienced being held at gunpoint, shots being fired around me, shacks being torched, bomb blasts.

I have slept on floors in travelling depots; on benches at airports and at bus stations.
But the worst experience I ever had was shortly after I began Lumiere and found myself walking down a street in winter with no home to go to.
I had been ministering to the homeless on the street, and had somehow become a homeless Pastor with them.
One woman was shivering in below freezing temperature with a thin T-shirt and cotton trousers. 
She was hypothermic, and soon warmed after she received clothing and warm food.

Another woman was living in a train station with her three children and the family dog.
They had not eaten for days, and ate the food I gave them with the hunger of the starving.

After ministry I walked down the streets at 3am with nowhere to go to. 
I began shivering. I have never experienced such cold or such fear.

Today I am blessed to have a warm home to go to, sufficient food and clothing.
Many still do not have these basic needs.
Homelessness - no warm shelter or loving people at home to welcome you - is devastating.
In the spirit of Lumiere, is there anything you can do to help someone homeless in your area?

See
http://invisiblepeople.tv/blog/2012/12/bob-homeless-toronto-canada-no-affordable-housing/

*Photograph by Associate of Lumiere Charity


No comments:

Post a Comment