Sunday, December 16, 2012

Lumiere English Academy - How to use Verbs and their Tenses correctly (2)


Lumiere English academy
A Basic Grammar
Studying English


THE PRESENT INDEFINITE TENSE 
I love
We use this tense when we talk about something that always exists, e.g. , Peter is very absentminded, or Peter is not very absentminded
Also in the headlines of newspapers, Shopping Mall opens the gates
Also about things that usually happen; Once a week we attend Worship Service

EXERCISE:

1. We all (know) ....................... that Marianne is going to get engaged (know)
2. New gaffe (spark) ................................. off protests (sparks)
3. It (be) ...................... generally accepted that correct diet (be) ................. important 
(is)  (is)       
4. Christmas (fall) ............................... on 25 December (falls)
5. Steady leader (revive) ............................... teams' flagging spirits (revives)
6. (be) ............................. you aware that a healthy mind (need) .............. a fit body?
(Are) (needs)
7. In the morning some people (have) only toast and coffee (have)
8. Police called in as Mary (confront) ....................... furious fans (confronts)
9. Sometimes Janine (make) ........................ her own clothes (makes)
10. Every few weeks James (have) ........................ a professional haircut (has)
11. Before Christmas and Easter we always (clean) ..................... the house from top to bottom
(clean)
12. As soon as Mother (come) .................... home, we all have supper (comes)
13. Father (do) ..................................... not believe in buying goods on credit (does)
14. Neither Paul nor Jim (be able) ................................. to sing in tune (is able)
15. Shakespeare's plays still (continue) ............................. to create interest (continue)
16. At Christmas we (sing) ........................ carols and (decorate) ................... the tree
(sing) (decorate)
17. Percy never (forget) ................................. anyone's birthday (forgets)
18. A mother's love (be) ................................ a blessing (is)

THE PAST INDEFINITE TENSE

I loved
We use this tense when we talk about something that always existed in the past, e.g., Peter was very absentminded (until he went to memory improvement classes)
Also about events that took place but are now finished, e.g. in 2001 I graduated from college
When I was small I always rode my bicycle to school
Also used in newspaper heading; Philanthropist always kept an open purse for the poor

EXERCISE

1.   In days gone by, the ladies (wear) ............... crinolenes and towering hairdos. (wore)
2.   At that time, the teacher (say) .............. to his disciples. (said)
3.   In my time children (respect) ........................ their parents and elders. (respected)
4.   When I was living with my parents, I (manage) .................. to save a part of my salary.
(managed)
5.   The customer (express) ...................... his appreciation of the professional service.
(expressed)
6.   When I was young I (have) ...................... plenty of hair.
(had)
7.   I was happy when I (obtain) ......................a study bursary.
(obtained)
8.   Whenever I went out, I always (take).................... a packed lunch to save expense.
(took)
9.   Studying night and day (help) ........................ me to pass the examinations. (helped)
10. Eating the wrong kind of food and smoking (destroy) ................ my health. (destroyed)
11. I never (leave) ....................... my parents' home until I turned twenty-one. (left)
12. Father always (be) ..................... the first to wake up in our house. (was)
13. Singing at our place of worship as a child (be) .......... a much favoured pastime. (was)
14. Long ago there (live) ........................ a little princess in a big castle. (lived)
15. When she (stop) ................... trying to make trouble, I breathed a sigh of relief. (stopped)
16. The doctor who (examine) ............................. me said I was suffering from bronchitis. 
(examined)
17. Father never (earn) .................... enough money to give us luxuries. (earned)
18. Years ago Grandmother always (cook) .................................. for us. (cooked)
19. At the end of last month the supermarket (be) ..................... full of customers. (was)
20. Last year we (go) .......................... to Durban on holiday. (went)
21. My youngest brother was born when I (be) .......................... ten years old. (was)

Dr. Luky Whittle

No comments:

Post a Comment