Sunday, December 9, 2012

Lumiere English Academy - How to use Verbs and their Tenses correctly



Precious student, show some sense
About tenses don't get tense

Until you know how to decline the most basic auxiliary (helper) verbs, you cannot hope to use verbs and their tenses correctly.

First, however, a word of advice. Please don't get tense about the tenses. 
Tense just means time, from temps, the French word for time. 
The tenses are not nearly as frightening as we tell ourselves. 
Half of them are second nature to us already, while we're not even aware of it.

In English we do not simply use one verb at all times as we do in some other languages. 
At certain times in the positive and nearly always in the negative use of our verbs we help ourselves by the use of auxiliary verbs. 
This word auxiliary is derived from the Latin "auxilium" which means help. 
The auxiliary verbs are the ones which help us.

FIRST CHECK THE MOST GENERAL AUXILIARY (help) VERBS

Infinitive         Present       Past         Present Participle       Past Participle

To be               I am            I was        I am being                 I have been
To do               I do             I did          I am doing                I have done
To have           I have         I had         I am having              I have had

HAVE CAN ALSO MEAN: TO EAT OR DRINK, E.G.
I was having breakfast         I was having my omelette        I was having my sandwiches
Would you like to have some tea?

AND WE CAN SAY
I was having problems         I was having a good time        I was having visitors
BUT WE CANNOT SAY:
I was having a headache.
INSTEAD WE SAY:
I had a headache
THOUGH WE CAN SOMETIMES SAY:
I was being careful      AS WELL AS   I was careful

Always remember that after using the present and past tenses of to do, we use the infinitive "did think" whereas after the present tense of "to have", we follow it up with the past participle: "have had". 
After auxiliary verbs like may, can, must, we also use the infinitive: "I may think" but past tense "I might have thought", "I can think" but I "could have thought", "I must think" but "I must have thought".

SO WE SAY:
I did (not) do              I did go            I did sing           I did read        I did obey
BUT
I have (not) done       I have gone     I have sung       I have read     I have obeyed

LEARN THE DIFFERENCE TO ENHANCE YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF ENGLISH

Dr Luky Whittle


No comments:

Post a Comment