Friday, August 16, 2013

Lumiere English Academy; Auxiliary Verbs (9)




Lumiere English academy
A Basic Grammar

AUXILIARY VERBS (9)

An auxiliary verb is a verb which assists a main verb.
The auxiliary verbs include;
do
does
did
has
have 
had
is
am
are
was
were
be
being
been
may
must
might
should
could 
would
shall
will
can
Auxiliary verbs can be recognised in several ways.
- Auxiliary verbs can form a contraction with 'not'.
They take n't; 
isn't, didn't, can't, won't, daren't, oughtn't to, mightn't, shouldn't, don't, doesn't, didn't.
- They invert for questions.
She has graduated. She will graduate.
Has she graduated? Will she graduate?
She daren't fail. They ought to attend.
Dare she fail? Ought they to attend?
He sculpted = He did sculpt (emphatic)
Did he sculpt?
But note that He could cannot give Did he can?
Examples of Use of Auxiliary Verbs
I do not like mustard
 I will go to town
 I have eaten
 I am reading
 I cannot afford to buy a new car
 I should go to Church at least once a week

EXERCISE:

1. Although people say I am indifferent to you, I (love) .......... you (do love)
2. (Love) ............. me? (Do you love)
3. (Love not) ....................... me? (Don't you love)
4. ................... the milk (boil) ............. over? (Is the milk boiling)
5. I insist that I (be) ................ an honourable man (am)
6. (Be) ............... you a vegetarian? (Are)
7. I .......... (not appreciate) your unwarranted interference (do not appreciate)
8. He .............. (not come) to the meeting tomorrow (will not)
9. (be) ............... you glad to see me today? (Are you glad)
10.(be) ...............you .............. glad to see me tomorrow? (Will you be glad)
11. I must reiterate that things (be) .................... in a sorry state (are)
12. Would you say that things (be not) ........... in a sorry state? (aren't)
13. I am convinced you (not persecute) .................. me? (aren't persecuting)
14. Why ................ you (persecute) .................... me now? (are you persecuting)
15. Why ........................ you (not persecute) ................. me yesterday?
(didn't you persecute me)
16. When ............. you (persecute) .......................... me again?
(will you be persecuting me)
17. (count) .............................. she ........................... the money at the bank these days? (Is she counting the money)
18. I insist that I (believe) .............................. in your innocence (believe)
19. Yesterday I (believe) ............................... in your innocence, today I'm not so sure (believed)

Dr Luky Whittle

No comments:

Post a Comment