Monday, October 21, 2013

The Lobster that cried

Picture courtesy of PETA - People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

Down to the Coast
Many years ago while I was still at school, some of my classmates went away with their families to the coast.
When they came back, school opened again and at one class, the conversation with the teacher turned towards how our holidays had been spent.

I had spent mine quietly at home helping my mom with my brothers and sisters, and spending much time assisting my disabled brother who had suffered brain injury at birth. 
So I said very little, because chores and babysitting was the usual for me. 
However, I was very interested to hear how things had gone at the coast.

Seafood on holiday
My classmates started speaking about the food they ate. 
They enjoyed shrimps, and all sorts of seafood.
One had eaten lobster, the other crab. 
A dark haired classmate sat quietly.
"Did you eat lobster?" she was asked by another classmate.
"No," she said. "I have seen how lobsters are cooked, the one I saw was pushed alive into boiling water.
It was screaming, and carried on screaming in agony for a while until it died.
That is cruel. 
I will never eat lobsters.
It is barbaric."


Silent
I said nothing during the ensuing discussion during which her stand was questioned.
I did not come to her defense, and surely she must have thought I was not supportive.
In fact, I was so appalled by what she had told us, that I felt ill.
It could never have occurred to me in a hundred million years that anyone could treat a beautiful and innocent animal in so cruel a way.
I could not open my mouth.

Respect
Many years later I still remember my class mate with respect.
With what dignity she stood there and stuck to her stance that she would never eat any living being.
I eventually became vegetarian.
There is one thing I have never done; eat a lobster or crab.
That was due to the witness of my class mate who had opened my eyes to the suffering of these defenceless creatures.
The thought of eating an innocent who died crying in agony while being tortured was not one I could countenance.

Undercover investigation
An undercover investigation has shown these humble and wonderful creatures being ripped apart limb from limb, left to crawl in agony for hours after being dismembered.
Lobsters deaths' are often prolonged. 
Lobsters have a long childhood and an awkward adolescence.
They feel intense pain as is shown by their violent struggles and pitiable suffering when torn apart and hurt.
Lobster mothers - like humans - are pregnant for nine months. 
The lobsters spend their childhood with their mothers. 
Some lobsters are right-handed and some left-handed.
Sometimes they walk hand in hand, the old leading the young.
Lobsters mate tenderly, with the male being particularly protective and caring of the female, sheltering her in his den after lovemaking.

God's Plan
In the beginning God created us vegetarians (The Book of Genesis Chapter 1, verse 29). 
What happened to us?
How can we eat little creatures with faces and feelings and ability to feel pain?
How can we torture these little ones to 'improve taste'?
How can we rip the unborn fish in the shape of eggs from the belly of its pregnant mother for caviar?
How can we force-feed geese and then rip their livers from them for pate?
How can we keep a fish alive, part fry it, and then eat it while it is still breathing?
How can we eat octopus while alive, holding the animal's tentacles to prevent it wriggling?
How can we eat the brains of a monkey?
How can we make sport out of eating the reproductive organs of helpless animals? 
What disrespect to the animals and how inappropriate of those made in the Image and Likeness of God Himself.

PETA - Peopls for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
Peta has a video showing the dismembering of  fellow creatures of our earth, lobsters and crabs..
God put us as humans to be the crown of his creation, his earth, to have lordship over all the animals to protect and care for them - his original plan.
He did not give us lordship to torture and disrespect these humble beings.

We need to do something
We need to do something. Dogs are hit with hammers to soften their meat before being executed. 
Their screams of utmost agony rent the air in a video which was sent to Lumiere.
Another dog was set on fire.
What can we do:
- Consider becoming vegetarian
- Be kind to animals
- Become active for animals' right
- Support veterinarians, gamekeepers and conservationists

Please sign the petition available at the following link:
https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&id=4977&page=UserAction

The Book of Genesis Chapter 1
http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Genesis-Chapter-1/


No comments:

Post a Comment