Monday, September 23, 2013

Lumiere English Academy; A Basic Grammar - Lesson 20 Prepositions H to W




Lumiere English academy
A Basic Grammar

Lesson 20
Prepositions
H to W
Student, take a wise decision
Never mix a preposition
You cannot be too careful about the correct use of prepositions.
Here are some examples of the most common kinds of
prepositions. These are printed in capitals. Make your own list
of any others you come across.
H
Happy FOR the winner
Having hidden the evidence, he had made himself an accessory
AFTER the fact
He changed FROM his office clothes INTO something more
casual
He insisted ON seeing the manager
He made his money OUT OF scrap iron
He was hit OVER the head
Holding the plate ON her lap
Horrified AT the person's discourtesy
I
I believe IN angels
I don't know WHETHER you can block publication
If you ever go ACROSS the sea TO Ireland
I have often walked DOWN this street before
I'll start off BY asking some questions
In looks he takes AFTER his father, in character AFTER his
mother
IN love WITH the lens
IN the blink of an eyelid
Insist ON getting the correct change
Insulting someone BY mistake
Interest is paid AT the current rate
I release him INTO your custody
It sounds strange TO me to hear you say that
J
Jack's marks were better THAN Jill's
Jealous OF the winner
Journeys have taken me OVER/ACROSS land and sea
Just a song AT twilight
K
Keeping oneself TO oneself
L
Lazarus rose FROM the tomb
LEAVING South Africa to go TO London you depart FROM
Jan Smuts FOR Heathrow
Living next door TO Alice
Living WITH my parents
Love BETWEEN two people can be sacred
M
Meet me IN St Louis, Louis, meet me AT the square
My chosen career will lead me INTO the realm of science
N
No use crying OVER spilt milk
O
Offending someone ON purpose
On behalf of my classmates I welcome you TO this gathering
Once IN the dear, dead days BEYOND recall
ON holiday
ON my way to the Mall
On top OF old Smokey, all covered WITH snow
Oranges can be broken INTO segments
OUT of the frying pan INTO the fire
R
Rather THAN eat apples, I'd eat pears
Reaction TO the news
Responsible TO the authorities FOR the disaster
Ridicule is offensive TO the recipient
Riding ON a bicycle
Robbed OF his possessions
Running FROM pillar TO post
S
Safe IN the Arms of Jesus
She headed FOR the shops
She paid FOR the groceries
She was convinced OF winning the competition
She was sorry FOR him
She would have been surprised IF he had recognized her
Speaking ON the phone is an expensive pastime
Staying FOR supper
Succeeding IN coming first
Suffering FROM illness
Surprised AT the reaction
T
Taking AFTER one's parents
Talking ABOUT people BEHIND their backs
Telling people TO their face you dislike them is discourteous
Terrified OF the results of the medical test
The golf course is situated OPPOSITE my house
Their quarrelling led TO sustained conflict
The Prodigal Son repented OF his sins AGAINST heaven and
his father
The scouts went ON AHEAD
They run FROM the field when they leave the game
They say when you fall FROM a horse you should get right back
ON again
Thinking OF moving TO a smaller house
Those endearing young charms that I gaze ON today
TO the manner born
TROUBLE with the neighbours
W
Wet WITH perspiration
Who's afraid OF the big bad wolf?
Will you eat here WITH us?
WITHIN earshot
WITHOUT a trace
Dr Luky Whittle

No comments:

Post a Comment